University of West Florida Center on Aging to host 2013 Regional Housing Forum
The University of West Florida will host the 2013 Regional Housing Forum on Friday, Feb. 22 at the UWF Conference Center, Building 22. The event is sponsored by the UWF Center on Aging and the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.
The event, which will last from 9 a.m. to 2:45 p.m., will feature a welcome and introduction by co-organizers Dr. Rodney Guttmann, professor and director of the UWF Center on Aging, and Larry Baxter, Bureau Chief for the Elder Rights Bureau of the Department of Elder Affairs.
Other event highlights include a presentation on “Aging in Place Matters: Disability and Aging Accessibility in the Home” by Dr. J.R. Harding, External Affairs Manager for the Agency for Persons with Disabilities. Dan Durkin, Assistant Professor in the UWF Department of Social Work, will present his lecture, titled “Planning for Aging in Place.”
The forum will also feature two panel discussions: “Universal Design: The Details from a Building Perspective” and “Aging in Place, From a Healthcare Perspective.” Panelists will include:
- David Teague, Director of Sales, Timberland Contractors, LLC.
- Dr. Aneurin Grant, Assistant Professor, UWF
- Dr. Robert Hoyt, Director of the Medical Informatics Program, UWF School of Allied Health and Life Sciences
- Kenny Holt, Vice President of Social Services, Council on Aging of West Florida Inc.
- Carlette Howell, Franchise Owner/President of Home Instead Senior Care
- Amber McCool, Executive Director, Northwest Florida Area Agency on Aging Inc.
For additional information or to register for the forum, visit the UWF Center on Aging website, uwf.edu/coa.
The mission of the UWF Center on Aging is to improve quality of life through the application of science to address challenges associated with aging and to promote healthy aging, with an emphasis on prevention. The center conducts research, develops partnerships to facilitate specialty care for older adults, provides