University of West Florida hosting International Education Week this week
University of West Florida | email@example.com
The University of West Florida is hosting International Education Week this week to celebrate international education and worldwide exchange.
“One of the great things about a university is the intermingling of students and faculty from different countries,” said Dr. Judith Bense, president of UWF. “It is a special and important element in educating students for productive lives.”
This year, along with record enrollment, the University saw an expansion in its global profile.
“We have more than 400 international students studying at UWF,” said Rachel Hendrix, assistant dean of high-impact practices in UWF University College. “We also sent the largest group of students abroad, with more than 200 students studying in more than 20 countries.”
The week’s feature event, “Study & Travel in China: Scholarship Opportunities,” will explore the many scholarship opportunities available for UWF students to travel and study in China.
“This year marks the 10th anniversary of the ‘Study and Travel in China’ seminar,” said Dr. Kuiyuan Li, director of the Confucius Institute at UWF. “We have had more than 30 UWF students participate in the program, while others have been awarded prestigious scholarships to attend Chinese universities.”
The event’s guest speakers include:
• Judith Bense, university president
• Consul Wang, consulate-general of the People’s Republic of China in Houston, Texas
• Ben Giaimo, Confucius disciple and Chinese culture and language enthusiast
• Joe Lepo, professor, Center for Environmental Diagnostics and Bioremediation and Department of Biology at UWF
International Education Week features a diverse array of events. The full schedule includes:
• Monday, Nov. 14: Student Appreciation Breakfast, hosted by the Japan Center at the Japan House, 8 to 11 a.m.
• Tuesday, Nov. 15: Global on the Green, hosted by the Intensive English Program at the Cannon Green, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Wednesday, Nov. 16: International Music Night, UWF Global Quarter at the Commons Auditorium, 7 to 9 p.m.
• Wednesday, Nov. 16: Study & Travel in China: Scholarship Opportunities, hosted by the UWF Confucius Institute at the Commons Auditorium, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Friday, Nov. 18: UWF Global Quarter Barbecue, hosted by UWF Global Quarter in front of the International Center, noon to 3 p.m.
All programs are free to attend and open to the public. For more information about International Programs at UWF, visit uwf.edu/internationaloffice.