UWF HOSA Team advances to national competition
University of West Florida | email@example.com
Five students on the University of West Florida Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) team placed in the Top 3 in their respective categories at the 2013 Florida HOSA State Leadership Conference on April 4-5 in Orlando. As a result of their superior performance, the students will advance to the HOSA National Leadership Conference, which will be held June 26-29 in Nashville, Tenn.
The nine-person team was able to compete in the state competition as a result of funding from the UWF Alumni Association Grant Committee and the Student Government Association. The students competed in 10 categories that included knowledge and skills tests. Those who ranked in the Top 3 include:
- Camille Wood, 1st Place in Biotechnology
- Keanna Nimpchaimanatham, 1st place in Human Growth and Development
- Buu-Tran Duong, 1st place in Extemporaneous Speaking, recipient of the Barbara James Service Award
- Dhivyaa Manickam, 3rd place in Medical Reading
- Matthew Parker, 3rd place in Physical Therapy
HOSA is a national organization endorsed by the U.S. Department of Education and the Health Science Education Division of ACTE. The organization’s mission is to promote career opportunities in the health care industry and to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people. HOSA provides leadership training, community service opportunities and academic competitions.
For additional information about HOSA, visit hosa.org.